Primary Curriculum (K-4th)
Through a wide variety of learning techniques, our students have the opportunity to discover, explore and refine their learning styles. Our work in the classroom aligns with State Standards and the Diocese of Rockford curriculum and challenges our students to push beyond their expectations. Our goal is to provide an engaging, hands-on learning environment where students can grow both academically and spiritually.
Below is a snapshot of the academic goals our students will be focusing on during the current school year.
- Read a variety of fictional and informational genres that integrate cultural and historical awareness. Wonders Reading Curriculum by McGraw Hill is used in our classrooms
- Independently read leveled texts during small group work using a guiding reading assessment guide
- Interact with aligned text to make inferences, find textual evidence, identify the author’s point of view, and investigate central themes.
- Engage in centers and interactive lessons to practice phonic and phonemic awareness skills
- Explore authentic writing models, learn the writing process, and produce published pieces
- Use I Ready, an online Reading program designed to create a unique pathway for each student’s learning needs
- Use of Daily 5
- Progress in Mathematics Program is our core Math curriculum
- Practice operational fluency, engage in algebraic thinking, and develop problem-solving strategies standards
- Engage in lessons related to numbers and operations, geometry, and measurement and data
- Solve real world mathematical problems by reasoning abstractly
- Use I Ready, an online math program designed to create a unique pathway for each student’s learning needs
- Math Centers
- Project Based Learning
- Mystery Science and Generation Genius Science curriculum
- Explore Life, Physical and Earth Sciences.
- Participate in hands-on science activities aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards
- Engage in group discussions that develop observational skills, scientific inquiry, and the ability to use information to form a hypothesis.
- Understand how technology and math are applied in the study of science.
- Measurement data and Data Analysis
- Impact Curriculum
- Investigate specific communities and the effect government has on them
- Deepen students’ knowledge of map skills through the use of interactive technology
- Use various texts to engage in discussions and debates around current events
- Holidays, history and geography are woven in to the curriculum throughout the year.
- Recite the Pledge of Allegiance daily.
- Participate in daily prayer and attend weekly Mass
- Build identity around core Catholic beliefs, practices, and principles.
- Interact with the text aligned to the New Roman Missal to deepen students’ faith.
- Participate in events that support community outreach.
- Bible Stories: Old and New Testament
- Saints, Sacraments and Prayers
- Blest Are We Curriculum
English / Language Arts
- Writer’s Workshop and Writing Centers
- Focus on the parts of speech
- Express themselves in complete sentences
- Master the mechanics of writing
- Explore different writing models
- Learn the steps of the writing process
- Produce their own published works.
- Spelling, Vocabulary and Handwriting
SCB | Hampshire, IL
IN-PERSON Classes Starting ON TIME in August 2021!!
3 & 4 Year Old Preschool
1:1 Chromebooks in 1st-8th Grades
Before & After School Care
Bus Service Available
Sports, Band, Choir & More!
For More Information or a Personal Tour Call
SAINT CHARLES BORROMEO CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Schedule a Tour
Selecting a school for your child is one of the most important decisions parents make. We invite you to get to know Saint Charles Borromeo Catholic School. We welcome your inquiries and encourage you to schedule a tour while classes are in session to learn more about our nationally and internationally recognized curriculum and instruction.
Please contact the school office to schedule a personal tour.
Or fill out the form to submit a request.
PARISH ADDRESS | 297 E Jefferson St., Hampshire, IL 60140
PARISH OFFICE OFFICE | 847.683.2391
Updated Quick Links
Diocese of Rockford Guidelines for COVID-19
Parents FAQs in Reopening of Schools Amidst COVID-19
SCB Faculty & Staff
SCB Official YouTube Channel
SCB Parish Website
Diocese of Rockford
The Holy See
The Daily Rosary
District 300 Updates
St. Edward Central Catholic High School
The Life of St. Charles Borromeo